Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Catholic Pharmacy

I read a news article about a new pharmacy opening that would provide Catholic approved services which means no birth control provided. Of course I find this makes my brain hurt. I respect a person standing on their principles. I do NOT respect a person inflicting me with their principles.

I also find it illogical for anti-abortion supporters to wish to deny people birth control. They seem to prefer leaving procreation to chance and then credit God.

To me this is a disrespectful way to create a person. It's like going to Vegas and rolling the dice. It seems to me much better to bring a child into the world where it's desired and planned for.

Many of these same people are all for individual responsibility when it comes to money and healthcare and other social aspects of life. But if we leave procreation to God, why take responsibility for ANYTHING in our lives?

Well that is just plain silly, I hear people say. We have to be responsible. Then why not be responsible when performing the god-like act of creation. Its a time in our lives when we are probably closest to feeling as God feels towards us. But no we're supposed to leave it to chance like animals do.

Then there is the science aspect. Everyone is all for science when it improves our food supply through genetic engineering. We have draught resistant corn, pest resistant beans all thanks to genetic science. But some reject science when it challenges their dogma. Our view of God is like an infinite balloon - the more air we pump into it the bigger it becomes. The more I learn about the world and it's complexities and humans and our intellect, the greater God seems to me.

Some people act like adding any more air to their God-balloons with pop them.

Perhaps a silly analogy, but it works for me. And speaking of silly, a priest sprinkled holy water on the new pharmacy to bless it. It made me picture a witch doctor in a tribal costume flinging a noxious potion all around. To someone with no concept of Catholicism, it would look like the same thing. In my mind it looks awfully similar.

If you want God to bless something, all you need do is ask. There needs to be no ceremony. We need no priests as intercessors.

Anyway, back to my main point which seems to be that some people think God wants the human race to be a baby factory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home