Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Thoughts at 4am

I couldn't sleep this morning. Something my manager said at lunch today got my mind whirling.

In my previous position where I travelled a lot with co-workers, I was pretty much out. It's hard to spend a week on the road with someone and be unable to talk about what's important to you. The team was very accepting, but I think my boss had issues. In my current position, I have not been explicitly out, though a few people know. But I also don't hide the time I spend with Eugene.

Yesterday at lunch, my manager was discussing the company's several afinity groups including the one for GLBT people. He was moaning about how straight white males are about the only ones without an afinity group. I don't have one, he said then pointed at me and said you don't either.

I was tempted to correct him but there were 5 people at the table so courage escaped me. Another illustration of how coming out is not a one time event but something we face every day of our lives.

When he felt excluded, I did tell him he was invited to attend any group he wants to as a supporter. He mentioned going to the LGBT group - the week he retires.

I also took the opportunity to explain more about the purpose of these groups, that they weren't social clubs. They gave minority employees the opportunity to network and find support. The provide the company with the information it needs to hire and retain minority employees and their allies.

He later dismissed an upcoming diversity seminar he is required to attend as a tedious waste of time.

Yesterday afternoon though, I debated whether to come out to my manager. And about 4am this morning, my mind was working through the process. First I need opportunity which hasn't come about today. I prayed for God to give me time with this very busy man.

Some things I would like to tell him...

He grew up and lives in a society designed perfectly for the white, straight male, especially the Type A personality he is. He never had to look at someone he found attractive and wonder if they were a woman, and 9 times out of 10 realize they weren't.

I also want him to understand that you can't tell by looking at people. You can't even tell with your closest relations - parent, sibling, child or even spouse.

So I hope it will improve his sensitivity, but more importantly I hope to improve my self-esteem and pride in what God has worked VERY VERY hard to help me become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home