Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Next Time a Llama

You may have noticed that I've made several posts today. recently I've been able to put aside the rat race and as such the brain constipation has cleared. Ok, bad visual analogy.

Also I've been two weekends apart from Eugene and am trying to occupy my time with more solitary pursuits.

Last night I joined a half dozen gay friends for dinner. Next to me sat a retired minister and next across from him sat a psychoanalyst. The subject of religion came up and the two found common ground in the current way the Bible is being misinterpreted.

My minister friend is rarely at a loss for words, but I saw him speechless for the first time when the psychoanalyst declared his belief in reincarnation. I started to give my own prediction of what the afterlife might be like. But I stopped when I could see that despite his ability to reconcile his sexuality, he still had pretty standard ideas about the hereafter.

Meanwhile on the other side of me is a friend who doesn't believe in Christ's redemption. Instead of finding others' beliefs as an assault on my own (unless they present them as such), I find listening to different ideas refreshing and enriching.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! just came across your blog. although i haven't started reading yet, i'm sure it'll make for an interesting read.

be blessed :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

I joke about the two things that I can be outed for, being gay and being a pastor. Either one is usually a conversation stopper. Either one, people tend to treat you differently when they know.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott!

i find it very interesting, your ability to reconcile your sexual identity and your faith. personally, i have just not been able to do that just yet.

but- it seems we both have had the same idea (blogging about being christian and gay).

thanks for being out there bud!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Pomoprophet said...

I like the tag line in your profile!

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home