Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Being Used

I've said this before. The Republicans are using the Christian right to keep themselves in power and push their agenda. Just like they are using gay bigotry to generate votes.

When Bush first started touting faith based initiatives as a way of doing government programs, I was afraid that I, via taxes, would be paying for evangelism. I have to admit now that my worries did not come to fruition, though not for the reason I suspected, but due to the typical White House maneuver of failing to fund their promises and dictates.

So far from being a way to reward the Christian right for their support, it's just another of the ways that this administration will blatantly use people to further their agenda.

As David Kuo's new book reinforces, they publicly support the Christian right while
belittling them in private. Likewise according to Log Cabin leaders, Republicans privately befriend gays while publicly speaking against them.

Kuo also stated that contrary to Bush'd promise of $8 billion in new funding for faith based social programs, the governement actually budgeted zero new dollars.

Meanwhile if you hear a sucking sound, it's our civil rights being flushed down the toilet as Bush signs into law a bill that allows torture, imprisonment without due process or even charges being filed, secret trials and secret sentences including the ability to execute prisoners, use of questionably obtained testimony and not revealing evidence against a person charged.

"Nothing could be further from the American values we all hold in our hearts than the Military Commissions Act," the ACLU said. All for the illusion that we are safer. Meanwhile violent crime is out of control. I'm not afraid of a terrorist attack but I am concerned about being robbed or attacked.

So when tony Snow talks about "...harnessing the power of faith in dealing with some of the most intractable problems our society faces," I'm sure he's not lying, but also suspect it probably means harnessing the power of faith for the Republican leaders who claim to know best how to deal with our problems.

Now I know that none of this is really new. But what offends me is the brazen way this administration goes about it. Now I'm all for making us safer and for lower taxes and improved values. But while they get us all fighting amongst ourselves, they raid the cookie jar.

Remember their motto - the end justifies the means. And the Bush dynasty end is to restore the ruling class.

1 Comments:

Blogger Creative Thinker said...

Hi -- just came across your blog and read the first posting -- I too am a gay Christian (recently out to friends - not family) from the South and a very fundamentalist, non-tolerant background. I still have issues reconciling my faith and my sexuality. It is SO good to know that others are dealing with the same thing. It nice to be able to connect with gay christians over the net after so many years of living my whole life as a secret. I'll keep reading -- God Bless

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home