Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Thanks for the Encouragement

Thanks for all the encouraging comments everyone has been adding lately. While I welcome those that challenge my ideas, it's even more exciting to see that there are many of us on the same journey. I'm very glad that my words, my witness, have touched others and your comments give me strength.

We are all told we should pick up Christ's cross and carry it and we are also told that God's burden is easy. The two didn't make sense to me for a long time. The work I did much of my life as an ardent church member seemed to be an extreme burden at times. It was draining and exhausting.

Then a few years ago, shortly after coming out, a new friend told me that we need to make sure we are carrying the right cross - the burden God really wants us to carry instead of the ones we pick up ourselves or let others thrust upon us.

During my coming out process and my crisis of faith, I came to realize that most of the things I was caught up in at church were of my own doing and contrary to the work God wanted me to do. It was good work that needed doing, but I came to realize that there are others for that work. God had another mission for me, one that he had greatly and uniquely equiped me for.

So I dropped all those crosses that I had picked up and lifted the one that had always seemed the most daunting, most impossible of all - sharing my story as a gay man who was hanging on to his faith. But surprisingly, it's a mission I welcome and look forward to. It is work that God inspires me to do and he gives me great energy for it. I now understand the persecution for Christ's sake. I would much rather have people hate me for what I am than love me for what I am not.

This blog is one aspect of that ministry God has given me. There are many other aspects of this work, the most challenging is coming out at work over and over again. It's not easy at times. But being yelled at, chastized, despised and rejected are trivial when I know God is with me. Often there are frustrations, but with frustrations comes God's encouragement. I take comfort in being one drop of water eroding the mountains of bigotry and hard-heartedness.

One of the gifts God has given me this year is also another aspect of my ministry. After years of pleading and (not quite) patience, God brought a wonderful man into my life. And yet even this gift is filled with challenges, not the least of which is the 250 mile distance we must endure. There's also the bi-racial aspect of our relationship which has brought a new perspective into my life and new worries for my mother.

So, I'm saying to be careful of the crosses we pick up. If they are the ones God wants us to carry, he'll energize us and equip us and his burden really will be light. If it's not, you may have someone else's cross by mistake.

I'm no saint or theologian. I'm as flawed as anyone else. I have weaknesses and struggle with the sins in my life. I try to listen and obey, try not to worry about tomorrow and just have faith in my relationship with my creator.

So thanks for being there. Thanks for reading. Thanks for sending your encouragement.

2 Comments:

Blogger BentonQuest said...

Wow! 250 miles! And I thought 100 miles was bad! Blessings on you and your partner as you continue on your journey together.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Old Pastor said...

Well said! And sometimes we get so busy picking up crosses and DOING that we don't have time just to BE. We need to realize that while there is work to be done, we need to be careful to not simply DO church but more importantly to BE church. Also congrats on the gift of that special someone. That distance thing is a real headached sometimes, but where there's a will there is a way. Hang in there and know that you are appreciated.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home