Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Hey You Kids! Outta the Limbo Pool!

Quoted from Stuart Jeffries - The Guardian 10/09/06

(Blogger Note 10/14/07: I originally erroneously used the term pergatory instead of limbo. Was probably thrown off by Stuart's quote which also referenced purgatory. But it was nicely pointed out by a keen reader so I have corrected my admitted mistake. Also I was admittedly pretty sarcastic when I wrote this a year ago.)

The Catholic has announced that unbaptized children will henceforth go directly to heaven and not spend eternity in limbo as it has previous porclaimed for the last 700 years.

The Catholic church now believes that God wishes all souls to be saved. It seems remiss, to put it mildly, that the church took seven centuries to come to this more compassionate position.

Pope John Paul II announced that any Christian who gave up drinking or smoking in 2000 would have his or her time in Purgatory lessened. We thereby saw the birth of the Vatican nanny state. In this announcement John Paul followed Boniface VIII, who, during the church's jubilee in 1300, granted pardon from all Purgatorial torment to anyone who died while on pilgrimage to Rome that year.

Is any Catholic so blessed as to believe in the supposed truth of a purgatory administered by papal whim? It would be nice to think that the afterlife isn't quite so - how to put this? - silly.


Dear God,

The Cardinals and I have met and discussed your policies regarding unbaptized children having to spend time in limbo (see the Holy Book of Inferno by Dante) and feel this is unwarranted behavior by a diety otherwise known for justice. In this light we are changing the limbo policy. Please conform to this new theology immediately.

Sincerely,
Your Holiness, The Pope

The last bit of silliness is mine. Has it occurred to anyone that trying to figure out the diffinitve law of God is sheer folly. The mystery of the faith isn't that it takes a Pope and 200 Cardinals to figure it all out, but that it's so simple a child can understand it.


God is loving and just.

Love God.
Love each other.
Love ourselves.


Everything else is covered by grace so we can quit debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

3 Comments:

Blogger Love above all said...

Amen.

Colleen

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. Wrong.

The teaching concerned limbo, not purgatory. At least get some basic information straight.

How old are you, 12?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Yes, Anon, you are right. Thanks for pointing that out, though you could have done it without being mean. Makes me wonder who is 12.

I'm not Catholic and both limbo and purgatory don't make sense to me.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home