Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Unique Relationship

If there were no Bible, what would you believe? For most of us, probably the exact same thing we already believe. The danger here is that when we quote scripture, we tend to ignore the ones that challenge us and embrace the ones that we believe reinforces our existing beliefs.

We open up our Bibles in order to say “I told you so” instead of letting God speak to us, challenge us, prod us out of our comfort zone. Many people seem to think that what God tells them is meant for universal consumption. We are called to witness not lecture.

God has a plan for my life. I don’t presume that his plan applies to anyone but myself. I’m glad to share how God relates to me even when some decry that I am either following my own delusions or those of Satan.

I do have work to do. It’s work that God has patiently asked me to do, but which I, through cowardice and shame could not face for most of my life. Now I welcome the work he asks me to do. It is not easy and I face derision and ridicule as you can see in some of the comments left here.

But God gives me the strength to keep coming back here and witnessing regardless of how many people mock the relationship I have with God.

A friend of mine told me that Thoreau, when asked if he had gotten right with God replied, “I wasn’t aware we had quarreled.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home