Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Single in a World of Couples

I have to confess I am not attending church services these days. I have searched and have not found a place I feel welcome that is near by. I live in a conservative midwestern city and even the liberal denominations seem not to have a place at the table where I am made welcome.

It's not wholly because I'm gay, though that is a good portion. But there is also the fact that I'm in church alone. I'm not lonely in my life. I have a boyfriend and many friends. But I am made to feel alone because I choose to pursue my faith in ways my partner and friends cannot or will not join.

Lately I've been more aware that our world is biased toward traditional families. Anyone who thinks the traditional family is in danger hasn't been to a town festival, school event or church service and looked around. Our institutions marginalize those that are non-traditional. And some try to add legal weight to that maginalization. Being in the midst of it all just leaves a hollow pit in my stomach.

At times it is really frustrating that my guy is 250 miles away. Because there are things we can tackle together, there is alienation we can weather together that is tiring to endure alone. And one of those things is sitting in a pew trying to worship God when a good portion of the service is worshipping the families.Single in

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home