Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Answered Prayers

Most religious people, including myself, believe that God answers prayers. It has been suggested that if gay people pray hard enough, they could be changed to straight. Of course they assume that it's God's will that everyone be straight. If you are praying such prayers and God does not seem to be answering, I think he's telling us we are praying for the wrong thing.

So is it truly that people are not praying hard enough, that they don't have enough faith? Or is it that God likes us the way he created us.

When I learned to accept myself as being God's creation, I suddenly started seeing all the real things God wanted me to do. And being straight wasn't on his list.

Many religious gays and our supporters say that if the anti-gay crowd would just pray hard enough, God would make them more accepting, forgiving and loving.

Lately, though, a thought came to me. I wonder how many of the anti-gays are praying for God to be merciful to us. After all Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

Granted its a very selfless thing to do and a prayer I do not make nearly enough. Indeed its rare and difficult to pray for those you disapprove of and is one of my failings.

I also know that many Evangelicals pray for Jesus' quick return to pass judgement upon the wicked. Wouldn't a more Christian prayer be for God to delay his judgement to give everyone as much time as possible to turn to him?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,

I stumbled across your blog this morning and just wanted to thank you for it. I'm a gay male Christian and am going through a emotionally difficult divorce from my wife. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on the web. I have a log as well, perhaps I could send you a snippet or two from that which speaks to the shame and rejection I've felt as someone just becoming fully aware of his homosexuality. I'll be praying for you! Thanks. Email at johnjdavis3 at hotmail dot com.

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home