Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Bible Says...

Several years ago I had the privilege of listening to Dr John Dominic Crossan speak in an intimate setting. One of the things he said that really struck me was that whenever someone wants to discuss scripture with him he would always start by asking the person to tell him about who God was.

One think I have realized with some clarity is that a person's interpretation of God defines how they interpret scripture. Some would have us believe that scripture is static and un-interpretable. To me that's saying that the scriptures are lifeless and God hasn't provided new, updated guidance in over 1700 years.

I believe the Bible is the personal witness of people describing their relationships with God. It is a beautiful piece of living writing by inspired people who tried to capture the events and emotions in their lives. It speaks to us with different meanings appropriate to our moment in life. I believe that such writing continues today and will continue until the end of time.

For those who believe that the Bible was written by those whose hands were controlled by God, I have a simple question... why did Jesus write nothing? He didn't even insist on a scribe to record his life in real time.

But my theme here is that how one sees God colors their interpretation of scriptures.

Someone who believes in a vengeful God will probably focus on the sin and punishment angle.

Someone who believes in a God who has his chosen ones will likely focus on the gifts of the spirit.

Someone who believes in an inclusive God will focus on passages describing acceptance and forgiveness.

I think the challange we all face is to challenge ourselves to read listening for God to reveal himself to us. Whenever we say, "ah ha, I knew I was right' we're probably not listening very well. But when we say "wow, that's a aspect of God I'd never noticed before" that's when God is there reading with us, speaking to us through his living word.

Faith is a journey not a place we arrive in. Like knowledge, the more we learn, the more we realize what remains to be learned. Instead of trying to make God fit our preconceptions, we should strive to let God reveal himself to us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very insightful and profound. I wish every judgmental so called "Christian" would be required to read this before speaking their hate for so called "alternative lifestyles".

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home