Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Where I Am Today

It's been a long time since I published anything here. Mainly life has been fairly hectic for the past six months. Work has been especially busy, but is finally giving me personal time back. My relationship with Eugene is still good - 3 1/2 years. While it is still long distance and may never change, it's what I need at this time. We did get to spend a week vacation together and enjoy some romantic time.

But while I haven't written, I have done a lot of thinking. American society is going through massive changes, the pace of which is increasing. Sadly the ability to discourse is falling. I had hoped that Obama's administration might usher in more pragmatism, but wasn't expecting the "just say no" position the opposition is taking.

The refusal to change anything is what has lead to economic meltdown and the healthcare crisis. To desire to maintain the status quo is no fix. I see tea-baggers protesting (what exactly many are not sure). I read about the rise in extremist groups in the U.S. I hear about disturbing trends in the rollback of female rights at the state level. And of course I cringe at the desire of so many to deny basic rights to gay people - that rights are something given by popular vote. I worry about the massive ongoing transfer of wealth from the middle and lower incomes of society into the small group of wealthy elitists. I am troubled by the near panicked efforts to maintain tradional sexual models - men are in charge and powerful or wimps / women are virgins, married or whores.

When I try to step back and look wholistically it just seems that so many people want to turn back the clock. Perhaps it is a longing for a simpler time, a time they felt more secure. But I don't really think it was all that simple, but merely a time when the things that scare them were hidden.

Now I'm not threatened by a difference of opinion or belief. What disturbs me is the rabid way some groups demand people conform to their narrowly defined lifestyle. When laws are being passed to purposely marginalize certain groups of people, I am outraged. When people tell blatant lies to sway public opinion, I am incensed. When people cannot respect a difference of opinion, I feel less secure about the direction and standing of our society. When people use fear to manipulate others, I find it offensive.

We all have to live our lives the best we can. More people than anyone knows do not fit the stereotyped American lifestyle with a man and a woman, married with 2.5 children living in a nice suburban neighborhood with a good job and going to church on Sunday. It takes so much courage and stamina to pull out of that strong orbit we are raised by society to find attractive. But everyone who manages it weakens the bonds that bind the rest.

I am trying to change my corner of the world, though. I try to speak up when I see injustice. I ask for facts when I hear knee-jerk solutions. I try to be who I am and stand up for my values. I do not tell people how to live their lives, but I do want to challenge everyone, myself included, to think about why they believe what they do, why they act like they do. And most of all, I wish everyone would practice understanding and compassion.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Steven101 said...

It seems pretty crazy the world we are living in today, and while I am not a part of America, I see changes happening in my country too (Australia). From what I have seen in todays society is a total lack of what is right and what is wrong, as there is seemly no absolute truth. I have a question for you, gay parenting, what is your opinion on it? And, is sergeancy okay, Why/why not?

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home