Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Rick Warren & Barack Obama

Today it became clear to me why the selection of anti-gay Rick Warren by Barack Obama as invocation speaker bothered me so much. In fact it makes me want to spit nails, take names and make phone calls. It's because as much as Barack Obama proclaims that he supports us, he just doesn't get it.

He's not alone. I am constantly disappointed by supportive people who during conversations prove that they really don't get it either. They truly do not understand what it's like to be gay. But I give credit for trying, for listening, for learning.

Warren and others like him talk about all their gay friends and how loving and supportive they are to gay people. And then compare gay relationships with incest and pedophelia if not beastiality. My guess is their so called gay "friends" are not as good a friends as they would like to proclaim.

My relationship with Eugene is every bit as important as a straight couple's. To think that we are somewhat less valid because we are gay is extremely offensive. This is why recognition of gay marriage is important - because until gay relationships are valued by society, we as a group of people are 2nd class, akin to pre-teens sharing promise rings. It's cute but not a "real" adult relationship.

Add to Warren's views about gay relationships - his church denies membership to gays unless they adhere to that church's demeaning requirements. It is another offense that Warren and Obama just do not "get." I don't mind having a conservative speaker. There are many sound values and work being done by conservative Christians.

I don't mind someone being slow to understand. One can be personally opposed to gay marriage without being a hawk about it. I do mind the active and very vocal opposition Warren proclaims against gays.

That is not acceptance of a difference of opinion. That is plain bigotry against people that are different and he doesn't try to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home