Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Thou Shalt Not Interpret

I am often accused of eisegesis, of putting my personal spin on scripture. I'm sure it seems that way to those who disagree with me just as it seems to me that they are as well. Most people struggle with scriptures that challenge their comfort zone. In fact many well respected people have been accused of it. Jews accuse Christians of eisegesis. Catholics accuse Protestants. Liberal and conservative protestants blame each other.

For myself, I try to let God be my guide through my interaction with Him. I constantly question my interpretation of all scriptures to try to ensure that neither my nor anyone else's personal interpretations color my reading. But we are all only human. To not interpret means the words are just dead ink on a page.

Most have had the experience where a well known scripture takes on new meaning depending on the situation of our lives. To me this is the proof that God interacts personally.

We all have the opportunity to interpet based on improved knowledge, science and sociology. When Ezekial saw the wheel, no doubt modern science would have helped him describe it more accurately.

I have read the Bible from an early age and am quite familiar with the gay "clobber" passages. They were part of the influence that kept me in denial for 40 years. That and my mother's number one rule - don't embarrass your father.

But God told me loud and clear that he loves me and is proud of who I am and that he created me this way for a purpose. He has freed me from the shadow that was destroying me and hurting those I loved. He put a stop to the lies I spoke constantly. And while He blessed me when I was in the closet, He has blessed me more in this new life. He has kept me clear of many temptations, saved me from many dangers and brought supportive friends into my life. He has even brought the man I love to me.

I would have to be a stubborn fool to ignore His words. He spoke clearly and His truth has set me free of oppression. Some who disagree will tell me I'm delusional and every time I go and meditate on it.

So now when it comes to scripture, I can only interpret them based on the love God has shown me. I can chose to throw them out or deny His involvement in my life (never) or try to listen to what God's meaning really is. I'm sure I get things wrong at times. In fact I assume that I often do and am open to additional inspiration.

And it's a lot of work, a lot of listening for inspiration, a lot of turmoil and struggle, a lot of uncertainty and ambiguity. But I believe that's what we are called to do. That's what ministers do with every sermon, what elders do with every counsel, what teachers do with every lesson - let God take words and give them meaning and relevance for today.

What I think is happening when we disagree on meaning, though, is indeed holy. I once was told by a fellow elder in the church that if I prayed hard enough, God would make me see things his (the elder's, not God's) way. Didn't happen. But what I did see was that God was truly inspiring him to take his point of view as He was inspiring me to take a counter view. By discussing we came up with a truly loving compromise that I saw was God's real desire.

But what I refuse to accept is that these are dead words on a page that can only interpret themselves. For that I don't need God's guidance, just a good dictionary.


PS: for the person who claimed the term eunuch doesn't include homosexuals - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuch

1 Comments:

Blogger Heart Like Jesus said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home