Being a Gay Christian

Here are my struggles to reconcile my religion & sexual orientation. I used to think that being a Christian and being gay were mutually exclusive. God revealed to me that I am his child, created Just As I Am. God’s awesome gift comes with challenges, yet opportunities to share the good news to many who have rejected religion. Or who have suppressed their sexuality to keep their religion. I welcome this ministry and the unbelievable strength he gives me to do it.

Name:

I'm gay and while that does tell you which gender I want to fall in love with, it tells you nothing about my lifestyle. As you read you'll learn about that.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Being Gay, Being Christian

It's difficult being gay. You are different and a minority in the world. You are often persecuted and shunned by the straight community.
And being a gay Christian makes me a minority within a minority. I find other gays running away. It is understandable. After all gays have found abuse not only within society, but traditional refuges of family and faith are often sources of abuse. Sadly most gays reject God along with hurtful religion. I find that most have been taught a distorted image of who God is and given a picture of a punitive, angry and vengeful entity. I believe God is none of those things.
There was a time when I thought being gay and being religious were mutually exclusive. After all the Bible clearly condemns homosexuality... Or does it?
Many Christians will ask the question "Would God create a person he would condemn to hell?" Most people say no. Then they will point out that since the Bible clearly condemns homosexuality, then God didn't create homosexuals.
But they forget the other leg of the logic -
IF GOD DOES CREATE HOMOSEXUALS THEN HE DOESN'T CONDEMN THEM AND THE BIBLE IS BEING MISINTERPRETED.
Now I know it's a shock that the Bible might be misinterpreted (this is irony folks). But I have been on a close walk with God all my life. I grew up the son of a minister. I read and research. I pray and meditate. And when I was in the dark depths of the closet, God asked me this question...
WHY ARE YOU ASHAMED OF THE WONDERFUL MAN I HAVE CREATED IN YOU.
Of course he added that being ashamed was not very productive and that I should come out with pride and get to the work he has set for me.
So that's why this is here. It's a chance to tell my story, to share my ideas, to examine my spirituality and to bring hope to others like me who are struggling through what looks to be a no-win situation.
So I'm glad you have found me. Check back for more.
I thank God for giving me the awesome gift of my sexuality. It has taken me decades to understand that it is a precious gift, one I would not change for anything. Being gay is an integral part of me. It makes me loving and sensitive and compassionate. To remove it from me would be to destroy me completely. My very soul is gay.
I am proud to be gay and proud of my God who created me and blessed me with this very special gift.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so muh for that! It's a great way of putting things in perspective for those of us who are gay, and having trouble with being both gay and Christian.

6:32 PM  
Blogger undercoverbear said...

Thank you for sharing. I often go through struggles regarding my sexual preferences, leaning Gay, and my religious beliefs... I often times find them to clash with one another. Anyway, thank you for sharing you persepective and point of view..

Peace

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is a God of love. For a few years i struggled with being Gay and loving God. I now know that i am all God has called me to be and he will use me for his kingdom in ways not even i can possibly imagine.

I am free to be ME!

www.cravemcc.com.au

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmm...I've thought about this a lot, and I personally came to the conclusion to be celibate, however you offer another concept, that, whilst I would love to indulge in, I find I am still hesitant to believe. You say the Bible is being misinterpreted, which may be so, however I ask, with a purely inquisitive intention, on what basis do you find the text that clearly depicts homosexuality negatively, to be inaccurate?

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home